Making a salad Rabbit for the new year is a great idea, especially if, according to the Eastern calendar, it will be under the supervision of this funny little animal. There will be no special difficulties with such a dish: the ingredients are simply chopped, mixed with mayonnaise and then placed on a plate in a special way. It looks very original! The dish also tastes delicious; chicken, rice, corn and cheese work perfectly together. By the way, kids will love the idea of a New Year’s Eve rabbit salad, so you can count on their help.
- 400 g chicken fillet
- rice – 100 g
- eggs – 4 pcs.
- canned corn – 150 g
- fresh cucumbers – 100 g
- sweet orange peppers – 100 g
- hard cheese – 300 g
- red onion – 100 dg
- parsley herbs – 4 sprigs
- mayonnaise – 60 g
- Pitted black olives – 2 pcs.
- freshly ground black pepper
Method of preparation
1. Prepare all the ingredients for the Christmas salad. Put the chicken fillets in a saucepan, pour cold water over them and bring to the boil with salt. Cook for 5 minutes (or 10 minutes if the fillets are large), cover and turn off the heat. Allow the fillets to cool completely. Boil the rice in 1 litre of boiling salted water until tender, 15 minutes. Rinse in a sieve and allow to cool. Boil eggs (10 minutes after boiling) and cool in cold water.
2. Rinse the canned salad corn in a sieve and let the liquid drain. Wash and peel the fresh cucumbers. Finely chop the cucumbers. Slice the peppers in the same way (keep a small piece for the salad dressing).
3. Cut 2 thin slices of cheese into long “ears” and set aside to decorate the rabbit. Grate the rest on a fine grater. Peel and finely chop the red onion. Wash the parsley, dry thoroughly with a paper towel and tear the leaves off the sprigs. Finely chop the leaves.
4. Cut the chicken fillets into small cubes. Peel the eggs and mash with mashed potatoes. Place the eggs in a large bowl. Add the chicken fillets, onion, a third of the parsley, corn, pepper, cucumber and rice. Salt and pepper. Add the mayonnaise and stir to combine.
5. Place the mixture on a flat plate, shaping it into the shape of a rabbit lying on its belly (body and head). Sprinkle all over with grated cheese. Top the neck with a ‘strip’ of some of the remaining parsley.
6. Insert wooden toothpicks into the cheese ears and attach them to the rabbit’s head. Make eyes out of olives and a mouth out of a piece of pepper. Scatter the remaining parsley around the rabbit.
Advice from a housewife
New Year’s Salad Rabbit can be made not only with chicken, but also, for example, with cooked smoked ham or baked ham. Rice can also be replaced with grated boiled potatoes: also very tasty.
When dressing the rabbit salad ingredients with mayonnaise, make sure the mixture is not too runny or it will not hold its shape well on the plate.